WELCOME

WELCOME

Thursday, October 3, 2013

2013 OHHA "LEARN 2 EARN" MUSIC CONFERENCE!!!!!!

Okkkkkkkk Sooooo when the 2013 OHHA weekend rolled around...I must say I was excited!!! Not only were the actual awards on Sunday, but the "LEARN 2 EARN" Music Conference was jammed packed with with some of the industries finest.  (*like that damn Transportation Valley View bridge exit during rush hour )!!! Every year seems to be the same thing....everyone is excited about the parties,  showing off their fits, and new bodies (*yeah don't act like you didn't work out jus a lil to look good). Yet when I asked artists, and event goers if they had planned on attending the Music Conference at VADA...people seemed to slowly look away like "uhhhhh yeah about that...I'm not sure". I tried my best to assure everyone that the Conference would mos def be rewarding and full of powerful information, with an abundance of contacts n 1 room!  I had participated in the conference last year....so I was fully aware of how vital this event would be to providing growth for myself within the industry. 

When I was driving up to VADA I was thinking..."heyyyyy now...free parking!!!". It was my 1st time entering VADA. I must say I was pleasantly impressed with the venue. It was white all around, nice bar, and I as passed thru the crowd...squeezing by, hugging those worthy of hugs, extending endless dap to associates, and giving the ever so popular "Yo wassup" kinda facial expression with a small head nod to people on the other side of the room. VADA was cold...and walking in felt somewhat like walking into detention at school. It wasn't the "super fun, party atmosphere". It was a structured, mature, educational atmosphere. I looked around to see who all was filing into the room. I noticed that all of the artists, managers, even family members all looked focused and ready to learn something. That's 1 thing about these conferences, the people that really are interested in learning the business...you can see it in their walk, gaze, and even their notepads. YES!!!! There were sooooo many pens scribbling away....and it seemed as though most people tried to be seated close to the panel...maybe in hopes of making eye contact with the right connect on the panel, or maybe they had high hopes of strategically placing their music or card into the hands of an industry executive, producer, photographer, label rep, manager, DJ, or Engineer...*YEAH THEY WERE ALL THERE *headroll fingasnap. 


ShugaBooga was the appointed host for the panel. You can never go wrong with ShugaBooga, his experience, genuine , and energetic personality seemed to loosen up the room. The panels were soooooo informational!!!!!! We learned about branding, split sheets (yeah you betta get hip), we learned that you need to build a rapport with people to have a good relationship,and we learned about  LOYALTY...yes LOYALTY people!!!! We even heard a real a*s story about heartbreak and broken business relationships. Just when the conference seemed to feel lengthy...it was jump started again (*like a old Honda during the winter). The DJ panel was insane!!!!!! Leaving I found a whole new respect for the DJ's!!!!! By the end of the conference...all of my business cards had been exchanged with other industry connects. I felt full from all the knowledge that was exposed. The people that were looking skeptical...like walking into detention, suddenly looked fulfilled...like sponges that had absorbed extreme amounts of food for thought.

It's funny...only moments after leaving, I had artists call me, or overheard convos where certain people had questions that needed answers....and even up until now I find myself saying..."ummm if you would have been at the conference then you would know the answer to that"....I mean damn....I'm still trippin off "split sheets"...smh!!! The 2013 OHHA "LEARN 2 EARN" Conference was enlightening!!!! Everyone who particiapted was generous with their expertise and knowledge of the industry!!!! It was insane to be in a room full of legends!!! XOXO

















No comments: