WELCOME

WELCOME

Saturday, June 16, 2012

YOUNG SHANK...CUTS DEEP

                                                            http://t.co/nHQMQ1nT
Driving to meet YOUNG SHANK...I had so many thoughts running across my mind. Like...."soooo typical...of course he would be late"....and "I wonder if he is as mean as he looks". Previously we were suppose to meet at a different location, but it was Friday...and I had to respect the fact...that YOUNG SHANK was at the barbershop getting fresh. I mean the man had just recently cut off his infamous braids less than a year ago. So I was a lil curious to see what his new makeover looked like ...close up. Not used to being on the Maple Hts. side of town...I was searching for the barbershop he requested I meet him at. Just when I thought I was lost...I noticed a shiny...and I mean ridiculously shiny 72 Cutlass, White and Green, with rims I cud fit inside of comfortably, and Juveniles 400 Degrees cd on the console...posted in front of the barbershop. I was thinking "soooo typical...hmph...he would get the best parking spot".
Walking up to the barbershop....I had already fixed my "serious, oh no you didn't not be on time face", I busted thru the door and quickly scanned the shop for YOUNG SHANK. I glanced right over him at first. Only because I was expecting someone different....I don't know...maybe a more "thuggish" kinda guy. When my eyes brought me back to the very 1st chair in the shop, YOUNG SHANK kinda looked at me...with a serious kinda face. I walked straight up to him, and then.....suddenly..my "serious face,  oh no you didn't not be on time face"...vanished. I found it amazingly difficult to have an attitude. The moment you look at YOUNG SHANK...he gives a look of..."what's the word, I'm listening" kinda look. I stuck out my hand and he pulled his hand out from under the hair cape he was wearing. We shook hands and proceeded to get to know each other.
As his female barber continued to cut his hair, I noticed a few things. YOUNG SHANK is very handsome! I mean from his old mix tape covers of him being skinny, with braids...to a mature fade, and clean face...he is handsome. As I began to talk to YOUNG SHANK, I noticed that this is a real man. Whenever I would ask him a question...he would automatically look me dead in my eyes and answer it. YOUNG SHANK always looks you dead in your face. Most people are unable to do that...because most people aren't real..or need to fish answers to question out of their ass. Not YOUNG SHANK, you can look in his eyes and see...that this man has lived life, and you can also see...that this man...has depth to him, a story to tell.


Q. Why did you cut off your braids?
A. HA! Oh you silly for that question..lol...I don't know...I was going for a more "Grown man look", plus I was having trouble pulling the lightskin girls...lightskin girls don't like braids.

Q.What is your fascination with gangsta Danny Greene?
A. Danny Greene....he was a strong man, he did things his way, he was loyal to people he fucked with, he wasn't afraid of anything...he inspires me to be strong and handle my bizness, and look out for my family.

YOUNG SHANK and RAY JR. LEGIT PAPER
Q.You used to push your music hard, why did you stop rapping for so long?
A. I mean...I love making music....but then it started to seem like everyone was tryna make music. Before I knew it...my fans...had suddenly become my competition. It was difficult to separate the real music from the fake.

Q.What is different about this new Mixtape "Kill The Irishmen" from your others?
A. I finally felt comfortable enough...to step outside of the "box". Don't get me wrong, I know I'm known for "Trap Music", I love "Trap Music"...but I like other stuff too....it's more to me and my lifestyle besides "trappin".

Q.What other Artists do you enjoy listening to, who do you connect with with?
A. Man......I really dig J.Cole, AZ and Nas. I would love to work with Lil Boosie...but that won't be happening for awhile. People don't really know that I love "story telling" type music. I like Jay-Z too. I don't listen to much to Kanye West tho. I mean...I don't know...he comes off as a lil to arrogant for me. Not dissin him...just...I can't vibe with that. I'm more of a laid back kinda guy.

Q. What Cleveland Artists do you appreciate and respect?
A. Man...I fucks with BRAVO! His music is amazing! CASA too! They are on a song on my mixtape called "Don't Know". I had to do a song with those cats...lookout for them..they've got next!



As YOUNG SHANK's barber spins him around in the chair to work on the back of his fade, we continue to talk...YOUNG SHANK suddenly get's serious with his face. He looks at me as if he really wants me to listen and understand something. If you met him...you can almost tell when he needs your full attention. An obvious leader with the ability to control a person's attention with just his eyes...I found myself focused, staring at him...waiting to hear what he needed to tell me...he looked at me and said " Look...I'm all for "party" music", I've made party music before...but..I don't like..when the music is no longer real"...




Q. What do you mean by music being "fake"?
A. I mean...back in the day..the things I rapped about, or other rappers rapped about...is what we were really doing. We really had the things we said we had in our songs. We really lived in the places we said we lived in. Everything we rapped about was true...that was our life. Now...you've got all these young guys, out here watching videos..and listening to rap songs and trying to imitate what they see or hear. I'm not saying all rap is fake. But I am saying that...some of the things that cats are rapping about, they don't really have, or they aren't really living the life they say they are.Why would you want to live in the projects...you should be trying to move out. 

Q. Why is this unrealistic music harmful to our youth?
A. Cuz...dudes are out here catching cases, and collecting bodies...just cuz that's what they hear on some songs. Don't rap about it, til you actually have it. Then you will really know what you are talking about.If you live in the burbs, then rap bout the burbs.

Q.How does your music identify with people?
A. I think everyone has been thru something in life. Every single person has gone thru things, some more difficult than others. Everyone has a story to tell. Most people can relate to what I'm saying.


Q.Do you get a lot of artists passing you their music?
A. YES! Tons of music comes my way. I listen to about 70% of it. I honestly do. Most of it is just ok...but for the most part, I try and give people a chance. Some people just need a chance.

Q.How did LEGIT PAPER get started?
A. I mean...it's always been me, Ray Jr, Cha$e, and Prem....we started the label. I love my team. We've all been down with each other since day 1. I live for my team. We can't be shook.

Q.What kind of girls are you into dating?
A. HAHAHAH hhmmm let's see....I like lightskin girls, with natural hair...I love girls with natural hair. This might sound crazy...but I like my girls to be a lil ratchet. Ok Ok...maybe ratchet isn't
 the right word...I'ma just say "ghetto"...I enjoy a girl that's kinda "ghetto", I like loud talking girls lol.....

Q.You seem to be a neutral guy in the city. You can go to any hood...but you rep Garden Valley. Do you still live in  Garden Valley?
A. Look...I love where I'm from...but who wants to always live in the projects. A person's goal should be to move out of the projects. I love Garden Valley, but I don't wanna go back to live. I wanna go back to give back. Hopefully one day I might be living in a suburb or something.

Q.Would you ever leave Cleveland?
A. NOPE! I'm not going anywhere!

Q.If you weren't rapping, what would you be interested in doing?
A. Iv'e always wanted to go to school for cars....I enjoy working on cars.

Q. Why did you paint your Cutty Green and White?
A. Hahaha Danny Greene!

Q.What's your style..you don't seem excessively  flashy?
A. Im not into big jewels and stuff really...I just recently stepped my sneaker game up with the J's and stuff. I'm into True Religion...I only wear True Religion. Probably cuz I don't know what else to shop for.

Q.Do you have kids?
A. Naw...no kids yet...I'd love to have kids. I'm not sure yet bout getting married...but 1 day I'd love to have some kids. I don't know....maybe in the next couple of years...I might get 1 of these girls pregnant lolololol

Q.Your last Mixtape Jim Brown, what was it you wanted people to understand?
A. I wanted people to know that...I was broke! No joke! I mean...sometimes people misjudge certain people, and try to count our pockets. I mean we are struggling sometimes too. I once had zero dollar, then i had 40g's...and you know what...I lost it all...40 damn g's. Life has it's ups and downs...

Q. Your new mixtape  "Kill The Irishmen"...What do you want the people to get from it?
A. I want people to respect me, to understand me. I've grown a lot with this city.

Q.Do you have a lot of family support?
A. My mom was killed in front of me when I was younger.My mother used to rap I was told.My brother passed away , and my step-dad has almost 25 kids. I love my family tho....I live for my family and my team. My family means everything to me.

Q. Why did you decide to rap again?
A. Honestly.....for tha bread, to take care of my family, secondly...I love making music and I had some things I wanted to talk about. I want to be a role model for these cats out here. I want people to know it's cool to do the right thing.I want to build a platform to give back. Last year some people don't
know...but LEGIT PAPER fed 150 families for the holidays. We are constantly speaking at schools and trying to save the youth.

Beefy,Dre Prada, Oj
"Loyal Always"
As YOUNG SHANK is turned around 1 more time....I notice him searching his chair and pockets. He casually pats himself down and says "ugh...where's my other phone"...he finds his keys hanging off the chair, and later finds his 2nd phone. Just as he finds it, the other phone starts to ring. YOUNG SHANK looks at the screen and says "This is my brother right here...calling from jail"..he continues to look down and quietly says to himself almost ..."This is a jail phone"...most of YOUNG SHANK'S family and friends are either dead or locked up. Looking at his face when he talks about it...you can see sadness in his eyes. Even tho YOUNG SHANK is known throughout Cleveland, as the famous"Trap Rapper", hood and hard....he is surprisingly quiet, nowhere near soft...but you can see the scars of life written on his face. When he speaks of his family, you see light in his eyes, he suddenly looks extra focused. YOUNG SHANK is on a mission. We talk more about his lifestyle. YOUNG SHANK doesn't smoke or drink. You won't catch him out much at the club...because he says "it's to much going on, I'd rather be at home safe, chillin". He enjoys dining at the exclusive Pier W, where tables look over the water as the sun sets. YOUNG SHANK....with his name I assumed he would be covered in tats. To my surprise...he only has a big 1 on his forearm. It reads L.A( Loyal Always) with his homies names on it. When asked if those were his friends that had passed away he said "no, but why should you wait til a person is gone...to show them appreciation?" 

YOUNG SHANK's barber interrupts to ask him if he would like his face cleaned up. He replies "yeah go on head and take the goatee off, and make it look natural". YOUNG SHANK has really grown into his own. He is loyal, and determined to live life for himself...he doesn't really care who doesn't like his choice to do right...as best as he can. YOUNG SHANK ...now finished with his cut, pays his barber and heads out the door to his Danny Greene mobile. He stands looking off into the sun, barely squinting..kinda of lost...in his thoughts....

Q.What is the biggest misconception people have about you?
A. That I'm mean, I'm really actually very silly sometimes. I'm not always happy either. I don't think anyone is.

Q. What is one thing you want to say to Cleveland?
A. STOP SNITCHING

YOUNG SHANK eases into his ride, after thank you's and a hug. His car is loud...in a good way. He pulls off with everyone staring at him in awe. After meeting YOUNG SHANK I have a new admiration for him. It's difficult..almost impossible at times, for a person like himself to change and live a "normal" life. But YOUNG SHANK is proving so many wrong. He's is attempting to give back to his city, make good REAL music, and run with LEGIT PAPER. RESPECT THIS MANXOXO

@YoungShank
Bookings and inquiries 
@JvisionFilms

No comments: