WELCOME

WELCOME

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"YOGY" PRESENTS "KINGS WEAR CROWNS"

Okkkkkkk Soooo I always like to think of myself as a person that has been blessed with an open mind. I always pause...before I pass judgments on certain things, music, people, and situations. Yet there are times  when I get so caught up in "everyday stereotypical life", that I myself fall victim to labeling certain things, before I've actually had a chance to disect and respect them. I mean sheesh...even tho I am pretty damn cool *headroll finga snap...I am not perfect...I can admit it. Sooooo when I was passed some new music...."Kings Wear Crowns" to be exact...I kinda sat at my macbook...staring...with my face sitting in my hand....staring at the picture....on the "Kings Wear Crowns" mixtape.
I quickly glanced and said to myself "*yawn...another guy...rapping"...I sipped my starbux...and stared a lil longer...pondering wether I should download or not. I decided to click on the picture again...I blinked a couple times...noticing 1st that this guy named YOGY...was very well groomed, fly as fu*k even...and the flick of him looked worthy enough of a download...automatically attracted to the title "Mackin & Hanging", I sunk into an addictive state of musical bliss. "Mackin &Hanging" was the 1st and mos def not the last song, that YOGY impressed me with, and made me a true fan of his musical talent. I did a quick google check...cuz..I'm good for googling someone once I become interested. *You should to, don't get caught getting catfished*. Learing that YOGY was reppin the BAY AREA, only confirmed my earlier thoughts of his music....colorful storytelling, a lil down south, trap with Ny...maybe Nj, westcoast kinda feel. I became musically aroused...and decided to get to know YOGY!!!!

Q.1st of all.....where exactly are you from?
A. Bay Area, born and raised

Q.How would you describe the Bay Area sound?
A. The Bay Area is very diverse, it's colorful, and really has every type of sound imaginable.

Q.How did you get the name YOGY. That sounds like a name for a big bear, but you're not very bear like?
A. HA! Wellllll actually I was into YOLO before YOLO was YOLO and got played out, but I decided to go wit YOGY..."YOU ONLY GOT YOURSELF".


Q.What were you doing before music?
A.Mannnnn I used to be real athletic. I was a corner back in football, I still do a lil amateur  boxing, I also used to into martial arts.



Q. What college did you go to?
A.San Jose State

Q.Wait...so you do karate too!!!! What's the last color belt you received?
A.Orange

Q. You seem competitive, would you ever BATTLE RAP?
A.Naw...hahahah...I get to personal...I mean I'm athletic so I might end up fighting...I can't help it...I'd wanna start throwing blows...

Q.If you were offered 2 million bucks who would you battle?
A. JESUS...hahahah yeah me and JESUS could get it in lol



Q.Do you have any plans for SXSW?
A. Yeah my team is actually trying to get me booked out there!


Q.Who are you as an artist affiliated with?
A.Brick Squad Monopoly

Q. How did you get started doing music?
A.Welll my mom used to be into music real heavy back in the day. She used to sing backup vocals in songs, she was always into music, but I started writing raps in college...

Q. Would you let your mama sing back up in your songs?
https://soundcloud.com/yogymusic/yogy-power-kings-wear-crowns …
A. HA! Nawwwwww no way...I mean I love my mom, we cool...but not cool like that...

Q.How did you get your music discovered?
A. You gon trip...but I was actually discovered thru myspace! Back when Myspace was poppin, I had a song called "Dreads n Paper"...ya know back when the Hyphie movement was strong in the bay, it got a good response, people loved it, and that got me a following, and caught the eye of some independent companies...I was 1 of Myspace featured artists lololol...

Q. Do you still your myspace account?
A. Yeah but I aint logged on in forever lol

Q.How do you feel about Twitter?
A. Mannnn twitter is great for networking...its fast...but twitter can sometimes make certain people feel more famous than what they really are lol

Q. How did you come up with the title "Kings Wear Crowns"?
A. We as African Americans are born Kings and Queens...being able to be a MAN, it's a reminder that we can be Kings...sometimes we as a people forget that.

Q.The video for "Mackin &Hanging" was pretty dope, how did you come up with the concept for the video?
A. Thanks! Yeah I wanted the beginning of the video to be kinda deep, like a story, I wanted you to feel like you may already know how the video will end, or how the song will sound., but then it kinda tricks you...the music starts deep, but has a trappy feel to it.

Q. Are you really into community support?
A. Yes! In the video for "Mackin & Hangin"...that was like the Black Panther social group being represented. I belive in activists and unity in the community.

Q. I know you have some legendary artists that support you, what was it like working with FREEWAY?
A. Mannnnnn....unreal! I mean I've always been a fan, but ya kno to be making music with FREEWAY..unreal...

Q. How did you manage to work with FREEWAY?
A. It was like a matter of someone knowing someone, good situation, timing, mutual friends...all happened at once.

Q.I heard you say in 1 of your lines say "I'm Built To Last"...how are you built to last?
A.I mean...I've overcome a lot of things, I think that most of us as humans have...my mom was an alcoholic among other things, I'm not gonna get deep into, my father was in jail...locked up, I spent a lot of time alone when I was younger.....

Q.In the video "Round of Applause"...you were on the fattest stage ever...where was that video shot...the APOLLO?
A. Hahahahahah nawwww...I can't tell you all my secrets..but..it was actually a high school, a stage in a high school.

Q. You seem like your sound is a mix of all genres of music, what artists influence your musical taste?
A.When I was 1st introduced to Tupac, I was a fan! It was all over...and that's crazy...cuz even though I'm a Tupac fan...Jay-Z "Dynasty" album was the 1st album I actually saved up my money to buy, but yeah Jay-Z, NAS, Bun B, and Kanye...I fuck with Kanye cuz he's artistic...and I 'm a big Bone Thugs N Harmony fan..they changed music for real.

Q.You seem like a confident, kinda trapped out yet clean cut guy...do you ever get trashed?
A. Depending on the situation, I mean not trashed lol..but yeah...it's ok to celebrate

Q.What's you defintion of "Ratchet"?
A. No class....NO HOME TRAINING..yup

Q. What's your defintion of "LOVE"?
A. Sacrifice, a helping hand, always care for..no matter what, never judge...like the love of GOD.

Q.Whats your defintion of "Classy"?
A.Someone...I think classy is more a word to describe a woman...but..a woman who knows how to hold her own, knows how to carry herself

Q.What 3 words will describe yourself?
A. Motivated, ambitious, and hungry

Q.What was you reaction when you found out how big your fan base is in the UK?
A.Man...from me being from a small town, to knowing that people alllllll the way in another country are rockin with me and my music...people that have no connection to me, that have never met me or actually seen me in person...just to know people from another country enjoy my music is incredible...really crazy!!!!

Q.Now that you have a foot planted in this industry...is this industry what you thought it would be?
A. NOOOO!!! I never knew what it actually took to break a record.It takes alot of endz as well....people don't really know that....you gotta have your money right, I never knew it takes what it takes. This is a serious business...it's not a talent show anymore...you can have all the talent in the world, but you gotta have the business side down too.

Q. If you were drinking in the club, what would you be drinking? Better yet if a gril wanted to buy you a drink...what would you request?
A. A Mai-Tai...yeah me i  crew be drinkin those...cept they are in gallons...walking around wit it hahahah...you probably couldn't handle mai-tai's hahahah

Q. Speaking of crews, who's in your crew?
A. Well "CLASS"...that's my homie we grew up together, we have been cool since forever. I gotta up artist by the name of "KATA BOY" ....yeah...

Q.I noticed  you like big cars...you have em in your videos...if you could have any car you want right now what would it be?
A. Mannnnn mos def that porsche Panamera...I know GAME already got 1...but...yeah i'd go head and cop that Panamera.

Q. You plan on doing any shows...in the midwest?
A. Yeah....I'm making my way....I'm interested in Big Heff Industry tour, and yeah....I wanna hit NY...S/o to Big Heff!

Q.Have you done any shows down south?
A. I did a show in North Carolina! It was crazy!!!!

Q.Thats cool, was it weird cuz southern music...is a lil different from Bay Area music?
A. Yeah...but my music...has a lil trap in it...its a music gumbo...so we rocked out!

YOGY had me smiling ....I mean...it was refreshing to talk to a guy that doesn't seem to any other hidden motives...for wanting to make music...besides the fact...that he genuinely loves making music.YOGY...isnt' out here tryna front like he's bigger than what he is. YOGY's music speaks for itself. In a generation where artists get lost in "stereotypical" lines, and you find yourself listening to a song that has no story to tell...YOGY is pushing fast to the top of respected talent. If you listen hard...YOGY...delivers descriptive lyrics, and pulsating beats...when he delivers his message... "KINGS WEAR CROWNS"!!! XOXO






                               







No comments: